Link building is an important part of any Internet Promotion campaign where you are attempting to improve your overall "PageRank" within the top search engines.
Ever since Google discovered that using inbound links was a usable metric for gauging website importance ans started using it within ranking algorithm, and other search engines have adopted it. Inbound links count remains a contributing factor to search engine ranking success.
Link building is a time-intensive, and relatively boring activity, however it is still the most important core activity of anyone engaging in Search Engine Promotion to ensure improved rankings.
However, not all links or link-building activities are equal in value.
Here are some worthwhile guidelines for your link building campaign:
- Secure "unidirectional" (One-way) Incoming only (non-reciprocal) links
- Links with relevant "Keywords" in the Anchor Text are more valuable
- Links from industry-relevant pages are of a high value.
- Links from industry specific article pages are of a high value
- Links from high authority websites are generally of greater value (industry specific only)
- Link to your site should not be via a "redirect" script
- links from "framed" pages are to be avoided
- "flash" embedded links are worthless.
- Beware of paid or time-bound links
- Don't use email spamming techniques to solicit links.
- Absolutely no links from Link Farms (can damage your ranking)
- links from FFA (Free-For-All) link networks are of no value (can damage your ranking)
- links from pornographic, casino, Viagra and other sites containing offensive content are damaging
- Keep a full data sheet of links created at the end of each month
- Check against this list to establish the existence of links after a month
- check source of link code to ensure there are no "no follow" links
- No more than 75 outgoing links from any single resource
- Check that all the links will be Google cached and from indexed pages.